A recent food introductory video created by Food Insider saw scores of Singaporeans seething with anger and slamming the food featured nowhere near “Singapore food”.
The quality of hawker food in Singapore is undisputed, and our culinary variations is probably the best in the world – no thanks to Singaporeans’ demand for high quality food. Bring any native food from elsewhere in the world and Singaporeans can make it better. If you have Italian pasta, bring it to Singapore and we can make better pasta. However, having lived overseas for years, the Singapore food culture is very much maligned. You start seeing food claiming to be “Singaporean” by unscrupulous businessmen. Below is a list of “Singapore food” you will never find in Singapore:
1) “Singapore Noodles” in Australia
2) Roti Jala from Chomp Chomp in New York
3) Chili Crab Cheese Fries from Chomp Chomp in New York
4) Crab omelets from Chomp Chomp in New York
5) Lamb Rendang Mee Pok (yuck!) from Chomp Chomp in New York