China national Yang Yin who was found guilty for cheating a multi-millionaire 89-year-old elderly lady suffering from dementia will face a 12 years’ jail for misappropriating S$1.1 million of her assets. The deputy public prosecutors also called for an additional 3 years’ jail for falsifying documents to obtain a Singapore permanent residency (PR).

The Chinese national faced 110 counts of falsifying transactions amounting to S$186,900 to defraud the Immigration Checkpoint Authority (ICA) to approve his application for a PR. In addition, he face four charges under the Companies Act and three charges for immigration and cheating.

During the court hearing today (Sep 28), Deputy Public Prosecutor (DPP) Nicholas Tan said:

“This is a foreign national who has spent almost his entire five years in Singapore either offending or preparing to offend. Instead of being productive, Yang was prolific in generating a compendium of false documentation. Yang Yin displayed extraordinary brazenness in offending. He had no qualms in conjuring up an entire business … creating an entire fiction, inventing customers, revenues and salaries from thin air.”

Five government agencies – Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA), Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRA), Central Provident Fund Board (CPF), Ministry of Manpower (MOM) and the ICA – were duped in his scam for a Singapore PR.

Yang Yin set up a music school in 2009 so that he could apply for an Employment Pass (EP) from MOM. He then paid small sums of “taxes” and “CPF payment” to cheat the Singapore government into believing he was gainfully employed. According to China social media weibo users, this method is a common practice for rich China nationals to obtain a Singapore permanent residency because the Singapore government “will close one eye so long as they can take money”.

DPP Tan then said the China national is unrepentant:  “This is the character of Yang’s stay in Singapore. Although this epic tale is nearly at its conclusion, in this final chapter we still see a lack of genuine remorse … I’m hard-pressed to find even a single indication of compunction, of regret, for what he has done.”

Yang Yin and his family moved in to the elderly’s bungalow in 2009 and the China national made himself the owner of the property. His family has since returned to China when he was called up for investigations in 2014. Although his parents and wife are also named as fugitives by the Singapore Police, they remained uncontactable.