In a media interview over the suspension of popular chicken rice restaurant Pow Sing, the director Lee Chin Soo said he told his employees to eat his restaurant’s food everyday to test for poison.
“After I heard the news, I ordered all my staff to eat chicken rice everyday. I want to know where our food might have gone wrong. But everyone’s ok, including me. I’ve been eating chicken rice every day. Why? Because I want to know whether my food is problematic.”
The popular restaurant in Serangoon Garden has its license revoked after it was found their food to be a source for spreading the bacteria gastroenteritis, which result in the inflammation of stomach and intestines. As many as 84 customers who patronised the restaurant contracted the same bacteria toxin infection.
The National Environment Agency (NEA), Ministry of Health (MOH) and Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority (AVA) suspended the license of the restaurant and outlets nearby it yesterday (July 16), while an investigation is ongoing over the source of contamination.
This is the second gastroenteritis bacteria outbreak since the incident in Pei Kio Market at Owen Road two months earlier in May. The source of the contamination at Pei Kio Market was never found, but it appears there was no more contamination after a massive sanitation and cleaning makeover.