The Attorney-General Chambers (AGC) have launched an appeal demanding convicted con artists Kong Hee and his five other City Harvest Church leaders to be punished harsher. In a press statement released today (Jan 18), the AGC said:
“The Prosecution will be proceeding with the appeal against the sentences imposed on the six accused persons, and we have accordingly filed our Petition of Appeal on 15 Jan 2016. The sentences were manifestly inadequate, in all the circumstances of the case.”
Pastor Kong Hee from City Harvest Church was sentenced to 8 years jail on 20 Nov 2015 for criminal breach of trust and falsification of accounts to fund his wife’s doomed singing career.
His five other accomplices get the following sentence:
- Former finance manager Serina Wee, 5 years jail
- Board member Chew Eng Han, 6 years jail
- Former finance manager Sharon Tan, 21 months jail
- Senior Pastor Tan Ye Peng, 5 years and 6 months jail
- Former secretary of church management John Lam, 4 years jail
All six are unrepentant and are appealing their sentencing. They are all currently on bail with their sentencing deferred.