Another PAP MP threw in the white towel today (August 14) and resigned. Through Minister Khaw Boon wan, Sembawang GRC MP Ellen Lee announced her resignation from participation in the coming General Election. Having just promoted to the President of Singapore Table Tennis Association last year in July 2014 and also the deputy chairman of the Government Parliamentary Committee for Defence and Foreign Affairs, the resignation comes in as a surprise for a relatively new MP who are only beginning to shoulder heavier responsibilities.
In an interview with Straits Times, MP Ellen Lee said that her decision to quit comes only in May, right after the release of the new report of the electoral boundaries review.
Just three days ago, 3 PAP MPs including one former Minister announced their resignation and MP Ellen Lee’s resignation bring the total headcount to 11 including the current Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew and two ex-ministers.
1) AMK GRC MP Inderjit Singh
2) Tampines GRC MP Irene Ng
3) Tampines GRC MP and Ex-Minister Mah Bow Tan
4) Moulmein-Kallang GRC MP and current Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew
5) Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC MP Hri Kumar
6) Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC MP Zainudin Nordin
7) Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC MP and Ex-Minister Wong Kan Seng
8) Sembawang GRC MP Hawazi Daipi
9) AMK GRC Seng Han Thong
10) AMK GRC Yeo Guat Kwang
11) Sembawang GRC MP Ellen Lee
Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong is facing a succession crisis as he is caught offguard by the untimeliness of these resignations.
PAP in crisis: More PAP MPs resign following Lee Kuan Yew’s death